1. Check out the Store if you're looking to Buy HL2RP or other schemas for your server. You can click Buy Schemas on the very top navigation bar to visit the store.
  2. Use the Plugin Center to easily subscribe to and auto-install Clockwork plugins to your server, or submit and share plugins you have developed.
  3. Having trouble setting up or developing with Clockwork? Check out the Wiki or post in the Support Forum for advice from fellow users.
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, you need a Steam account to register and post on these forums. Login with Steam at the top of the forums to get started!
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, do you want to buy HL2RP or another Clockwork schema? Visit the Cloud Sixteen Store to get started!

Other 1984-esque roleplay?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by emms, Jun 7, 2017.

1. emms

emms eskimo Clockwork Customer

how would a serious roleplay similar to that of the universe of george orwell's 1984 sound?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bender

Bender Clockwork Customer Active Member

honestly i think something close to Ayn Rand's "Anthem" would be fucking dank

3. corrin

corrin hot boat sex Active Member

banal. hl2rp city roleplay is already banal as is, really.

unless you want to do something like SSTRP on a floating fortress like setting

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Gmod role play itself is a microcosm of 1984 in something as basic as server management and the abuse of playerbases by donor-centricism. You'd be hard-pressed not to find a cyberpunk themed 1984 in any HL2RP server you join (both IC and OOC), and even harder pressed to find players worthy and willing to play great, original characters like Orwell's, let alone to find those with enough of an attention span to sit down and explore the themes of the literature in-depth.

Also, it doesn't help that there's no graphic gun violence in 1984 (only on telescreens for the purposes of conditioning)... and if you're going to add in the violent conflict that Gmod players crave then, well, Laidlaw already has you covered.

5. dead flag blues

dead flag blues "...ours is a world of nuclear giants..." Templar Clockwork Customer Active Member

Why not try something based off from "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep"? Dystopian settings are great for atmosphere but the whole 'oppression' gameplay gets redundant after playing HL2 servers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  6. If I remember correctly, aren't the majority of the people in the book aside from bounty hunter and the corp guys have substantial physical/ mental
    disabilities caused by the atomic war? I think it's pointed out in the book that Deckard stays on earth because of his job and not because of the UN's eugenic policy of only allowing fit and mentally able people to leave the planet. I personally think most people will dislike being forced to role-play their character that way.

7. dead flag blues

dead flag blues "...ours is a world of nuclear giants..." Templar Clockwork Customer Active Member

@Mars If you remember an earlier rendition of Precinct.One, I would imagine it not being too far off from that (minus the HL2 integration).

• Like Like x 1
  8. MibNic

MibNic Guest

Zombo and I hope to produce a server based off of the School of Athens. It seems uncanny, but the release of this server may well kill HL2RP forever, as there will be no point to play on any other servers with it in existence.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. noel

noel Active Member

repping

P-1 was literally this, we basically took all the factions in 1984 and reformatted them into HL2RP. It was a good concept but people didn't seem to dig it that much, I think that was probably more due to the actual rules of the server and it's roleplaying standards not the theme so it could work if you make it actually fun (which P1 wasnt imo).

Here's our faction picture to give you an idea:

[​IMG]

10. Perhaps a Brave New World server could work? It's kinda the opposite of a typical dystopian society, and the interactions between the different castes would be neat to see. The erotic elements and the fact there's no outlet for conflict might make it difficult to create a server in this setting, though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. noel

noel Active Member

and having ppl RP as literal braindead workers might be hard, at least it would be unique though

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. The lower classes aren't 'braindead' exactly, I think. They're given enough brain damage and physical impairments to make them servile or more easy to be manipulated by the gov. Still, I get what you're trying to say that people dislike playing as inferior characters. I actually mentioned it in my first comment on the thread. I guess I got caught up in my idea before I noticed the major flaw.

13. noel

noel Active Member

It'd be cool to see, I think it would end up similar to black mesa or something, whether or not people would like that I'm not sure

14. willy pete

willy pete i'm going to cut off your face and wear it Active Member

i'm sorry but nobody wants to rp being a worker drone in a drab world where any kind of individuality is punished by an overbearing omnipresent political entity.

at least in hl2rp they won't throw you in some miniluv knockoff for being an interesting character

• Like Like x 1
  15. I was just throwing out ideas but I get what you mean. A custom schema needs a central conflict that new players can easily enter and it needs an open narrative that allows people to have a diverse set of characters.

• Like Like x 1

Previous Readers (Total: 0)