1. Check out the Store if you're looking to Buy HL2RP or other schemas for your server. You can click Buy Schemas on the very top navigation bar to visit the store.
  2. Use the Plugin Center to easily subscribe to and auto-install Clockwork plugins to your server, or submit and share plugins you have developed.
  3. Having trouble setting up or developing with Clockwork? Check out the Wiki or post in the Support Forum for advice from fellow users.
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, you need a Steam account to register and post on these forums. Login with Steam at the top of the forums to get started!
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, do you want to buy HL2RP or another Clockwork schema? Visit the Cloud Sixteen Store to get started!

A Review on HL2RP as a whole.

Discussion in 'Casual Discussion' started by 6 Dogs, May 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Before I start, I want to go ahead and tell you that this review is in essence my experience with HL2RP - and some of it will be opinionated. But, I will be providing some constructive criticism.

I have been on various servers that run CW:HL2RP for over 5 years now - and I have seen quite a bit of different aspects of roleplay. I do have to say, here recently I have been extremely disapointed. For a game mode that is this old - it doesn't seem to have evolved very much over the years. Something to compare this to is " Space Station 13 " - a Game in itself that has experienced many evolutions over the years in various areas ( GUI, Gameplay Mechanics ETC ).

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does take away from the overall immersion you can recieve from playing other forms of RP. Space Station 13 isnt the only example here - We could also take roleplay from Grand theft auto ( Primarily SAMP ), or Arma for that matter. These games have actual mechanics you can engage in - I suppose I can point directly at having some form of job. A great example would be the use of Workshifts as well as owning a business through the CWU. It just really seems as though you either aimlessly sell product out of a store - or go to a workshift to just throw rations into a box ( If you even have that plugin ).

I suppose what I am saying, is that performing a /me is a great way to immerse yourself in roleplay. But, it can get a bit daunting whenever you are having to do this for literally everything that you do instead of relying on an actual gameplay mechanic that would allow you to engage in particular acts of roleplay - even alone for example.

Again, this isnt necessarily a bad thing. But...I do want to point a few things out that seem more pervailent in todays HL2RP
    - Bias / Favoritism / Backstabbing
    - Elitism / Toxicity
    - Powergame for simply being a part of a faction that has guns and equipment.
    - Forced RP ( Being forced to act a certain way in a situation. This normally causes Citizen RP to be non existant. Almost certain you know what I mean. )
    - Difficulty in starting new servers
    - Literally plagues of " Minges " - Causing Server difficulties.
    - An overall, proven to be - immature audience. ( No offense...actually - Nevermind ) ( This isnt everyone - though )
    - DDoS threats / DDoS Actually happening constantly
    - Let's be real - there are A LOT of hackers. But, this is a huge issue with source games all together and not just gmod.
    - Immature Admins who blatantly disregard opinion.
    - Low willingness to help new players get into the game, which might be why the community has been in a state of decay for quite some time.

Did I say I'd give constructive criticism? Oh yeah, here you go -

Literally fix these issues and almost every server will be x10 better.

Oh, one more thing.

- Stop running your servers like businesses, please. It's taxing to hear you flip through your massive wad of money from charitable donations over discord. I'm not going to name the server owner that's guilty of this - but that was an absolutely disgusting thing to do.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Box Box x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Immersive review. Keep it up!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. oper8or/TehDurpLord

oper8or/TehDurpLord Clockwork Customer Active Member Restricted

Yeah, pretty much hit the nail on the head.

• Box Box x 3
  4. duck

duck Phant0m Legend

I agree there should be more mechanics. What kind do you think HL2 RP needs?

• Good Coder Good Coder x 1
  5. Aspect

Aspect Who I am depends on who you learn it from. Active Member

Does his name start with B, F, E or H? If so, then rip. If not, double rip because there are more than one people who do that.

6. Tyrex

Tyrex Active Member

economy

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. oper8or/TehDurpLord

oper8or/TehDurpLord Clockwork Customer Active Member Restricted

I agree. This has always been an issue in hl2rp, tokens mean basically nothing.

8. Doc (Killzone)

Doc (Killzone) Clockwork Customer

I find it hard to equate money having any worth for the majority of items.

I mean food yea, sure that is essential to your characters survival but anyone selling black market items whether it be guns or radios or whatever will probably have access to outside of the city and will be able to get their own food and as soon as you leave the city this combine currency would slowly stop in circulation as a barter system would slowly take place.

I mean who wants to trade (let’s say a glock) for a few tokens to get shitty pre approved combine food? Whenever you could be permanently crippled for running in the plaza?

Why would a large organised resistance group want to sell guns at any capacity? Surely it should be a game of safe calculated risk only intrusting competent individuals who share your aims and goals to be armed?

Tokens just don’t logically make sense in an OOC perspective (unless forced) nor an in character perspective.

Crafting is definitely a good move mechanically to ensure that the barter system that is around is at the very least decent, but with servers usually limiting crafting to flags it equates to nothing but the same old ‘lol I need 600 tokens to make that 4 u m8’

9. RJ

RJ no pay Legend Clockwork Customer

I've got a whole list of ideas planned for Armata Gaming's HL2RP server if you're interested: https://trello.com/b/UmXN8rL9/hl2rp-development

Feel free to make anything off of the ideas I've posted there.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Aspect

"AI for Citizens/MPF"...?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. RJ

Mm-yes? They'd be NPCs, probably something made with NextBot.

12. Aspect

How would that work though? What would they do?

13. RJ

The CPs would punish simple crimes (e.g. attacking another player, running, etc.), walk pre-defined patrol routes, have some dialog options (e.g. asking them questions on laws, ask about loyalty/criminal points, etc.), and could be issued commands by player CPs (e.g. follow me, stand guard, set status to green [stunstick only]/yellow [weapons ready]/red [shoot anyone on sight]).

The Citizens would just be added for ambiance, I'm not too sure what I'll add for them yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Good Coder Good Coder x 1
  14. Aberidius

Aberidius Chief Technology Officer Staff Member Administrator Store Support Clockwork Customer

I think this is a great idea if you can pull it off. I haven't seen it work before, but if you can do it then that's great!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Amnis

Amnis Clockwork Customer Active Member

Of course it is always better to have characters role-played by an actual player, but I can totally understand the use of scripted NPCs. One of my biggest issues with HL2RP was the fact that during certain times there would be a lack of Civil Protection present (or an over-abundance). Having a constant police presence would reinforce the idea to players that they are living under a zero tolerance police state and not an empty city.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Roth

Roth C16's furfag mascot (better than Cinder) Active Member

sorry, but i'm going to disagree here. isn't that the point of serious rp? i already find it a huge problem when people don't roleplay in certain scenarios.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. matlock

matlock Active Member

What people are missing is that if you want a server with good gameplay mechanics and GUI, they have to put in the effort to do it themselves through coding. I've done GUI/gameplay overhauls using a combination of custom UI and plugins on servers I've ran in the past with the help of my staff team. The problem is that the base of knowledge for how to do it all is pretty sparse, and there aren't that many coders who are willing to offer apprenticeship, especially on C16.

Pretty much preaching to the choir here. Alot of server owners forget that they shouldn't be running servers for their own enjoyment, but for the players. There's nothing wrong with having fun as a staff member in the actual act of composing it, but the priority of enjoyment should always lie with the player.

Powergaming and ForcedRP are just symptoms of a larger problem; people don't want their characters to fail. If people played their characters with appropriate strengths and weaknesses, powergaming and ForcedRP wouldn't be needed. People underestimate how much character development say, a failure in combat gives, and there are people who don't even try to develop their characters at all.

I actually think there's a pretty big willingness to get players into the game. There are still droves of people I don't recognize in the community. New players either choose one server and stick to it, or they play on a variety of servers for short periods of time.

Easier said than done. It's a shame that servers which are, for all intents and purposes, travesties get more players than a majority of servers. It used to be SCG, then it was Nebulous Cloud, now it's a few others (you know which one it is). There's still an audience for so-called "elitist" roleplay, but it's few and far in between compared to people who just want brainless combat and gun hoarding story experiences. I couldn't tell you how many people played .DUST so they could just build bases/towns with their friends, hoard guns, then leave after a week (usually RDMing in rage because their friends got captured and permakilled - something that doesn't happen on other servers, apparently). Base building and shit was part of .DUST, but there was a noticeable lack of people who cared about the intricate plot strands we put together - by the end of the server, guess which niche ended up staying for the finale.

18. Vented

Vented Guest

User was permanently banned for this post (ungrateful shit-head.)

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2018
  19. OfficialGhost253

OfficialGhost253 Clockwork Customer

if the schemas were fully functional like what people paid for thatd also be a big plus lol

20. Aberidius

Aberidius Chief Technology Officer Staff Member Administrator Store Support Clockwork Customer

I can understand the frustration and at this point there are things that are frustrating me too. When I first joined this position it was because of the new project that was planned. For starters, there are products sold (Clockwork) that is half-broke. I can understand that kuro doesn't want to maintain the products anymore because he decided to leave Clockwork's development, but I do think it leaves a bad mark on C16 as a community / company.

I lost count how many times we've asked for our staff accounts on the store set up. It can't take more than 10 minutes to set them up. Having people each day message you on PM asking for help on the store just to direct them to kuro because we can't do anything. I've gotten shit for not being able to do anything.

One would think that I would atleast have a somewhat active conversation with kurozael considering my role but I have waited 3 weeks for an answer and I haven't even gotten a single reply. He only types in the C16 discord once now and then and that's it.

You need a wake up call @kurozael . If you want to see a future for C16 then you need to step forward and take on your responsibilities. If you don't have that type of interest anymore then you just say it.

• Winner Winner x 7
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.