1. Check out the Store if you're looking to Buy HL2RP or other schemas for your server. You can click Buy Schemas on the very top navigation bar to visit the store.
  2. Use the Plugin Center to easily subscribe to and auto-install Clockwork plugins to your server, or submit and share plugins you have developed.
  3. Having trouble setting up or developing with Clockwork? Check out the Wiki or post in the Support Forum for advice from fellow users.
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, you need a Steam account to register and post on these forums. Login with Steam at the top of the forums to get started!
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, do you want to buy HL2RP or another Clockwork schema? Visit the Cloud Sixteen Store to get started!

A Review on HL2RP as a whole.

Discussion in 'Casual Discussion' started by 6 Dogs, May 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc (Killzone)

Doc (Killzone) Clockwork Customer

Well I’d say it wasn’t what he said it was how he said it. Referring to the codebase as a piece of shit isn’t constructive criticism it isn’t meant to do anything except provoke a reaction.

There are legitimate complaints that should be addressed which kuro didn’t have to do because of how derogatory the statement was. But he did anyway.

I have my problems with the gamemode(s) and can completely understand the frustration but cussing out somebody on a Internet forum isn’t going to do anything except result in a harsh response.

2. Bradley 2

Bradley 2 Clockwork Customer

I think the thing that needs to be taken into account is that he doesn't have to live on coding everything for people as he's done a massive amount of effort into his releases already such as the clockwork content that has been released and face the true fact that we're not all robots which implies that some of us have issues outside the networking world therefore do require a extensive break or even more.

3. Roth

Roth C16's furfag mascot (better than Cinder) Active Member

so why get mad when someone criticizes it?
    make your grave you lay in it imo. if you don't wanna deal with it, announce a hiatus or pass it over
    which is... the point of criticism, yes. maybe take it from the view of someone who has devved on CW before? i haven't but i've heard the horror stories and i think anyone would get mad if they're forced to work on a schema just to make it work before they can even add anything to it.
    bit late

4. Roth

funny how the only people disagreeing withmy post are clockwork customers who hardly interact with this community.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Amnis

Amnis Clockwork Customer Active Member

Hardly. I recently paid for several public fixes to Clockwork. I also have remained active on the forums.

Consider this: Despite its failings and problems, Clockwork remains arguably the most popular framework for serious role-play on Garry's Mod. If you want to help make it better, contribute to its development. I can't code well, so I paid someone else (@duck) to do it for me.

Also consider how long Clockwork has been around for, most software would have passed its life cycle long ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Roth

YOU did. duck did.
    CW's only been around because others HAVE to use it and they're the ones fixing most of its issues.

not kuro. imagine the leaps and bounds of development time if everyone had full availability. not everyone, i mean just most good developers in this community. hell, the people who could got shafted.

7. duck

duck Phant0m Legend

He commissioned the fixes. If he hadn't, it'd take me a while to get to them.

8. Roth

but shouldn't those fixes already be in CW?

also the fact you had to COMMISSION that, or be commissioned, is dumb imo

9. duck

duck Phant0m Legend

Well I'm a volunteer with a life of my own. If I am going to be compensated for my work then I'll be more motivated to do it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Good Coder Good Coder x 1
  10. Roth

of course, that's fine, it's still kuro's like, actual job to fix these things and roll them out into the product that everyone paid £20 or whatever, instead of buying it then paying commission for others to fix it into a better schema

11. Amnis

Right, but you said "only people disagreeing withmy post are clockwork customers who hardly interact with this community", I was just correcting that.

I was not forced to use Clockwork, it just so happens to be the most attractive framework for me. That's how the free market works. Sure Clockwork isn't perfect, but it's the best option I perceive to have.

Nothing is stopping a group of coders from going out, putting in the hours and work like kurozael, and making something better than Clockwork apart from their own initiative.

Doesn't matter. The end result was good. The job was done and the fixes made, be grateful for them.

Paying someone $30 once doesn't make them your life slave. Software-as-a-service works that way. You pay a regular fee and in exchange receive regular updates. The problem here is that Clockwork runs on Garry's Mod, which itself receives regular updates that can break Clockwork. kurozael cannot be expected to provide fixes until the end of time.

@duck was paid to fix *present* issues at that time. If those issues become broken in the future because of changes outside their control, they have no obligation to fix them because I didn't pay them for perpetual service, I paid one-time.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  12. vexus

vexus ej rockwell's worst nightmare Clockwork Customer Active Member

it's obviously a flawed system, relying on the members of the community to cough up their time, effort, and money to fix issues that shouldn't have been rolled out to begin with or should've clearly been fixed by now already. however, i think know that's really by design. from what kuro's said, clockwork is going completely DRM-free in 2019/2020 (?) and the source code will be handed to certain people to take over development. i think clockwork's just in an awkward stage right now. there's no dedicated developers to fix any of this, and kuro's lost interest in the project and is trying to pass it on, which again, there's nothing wrong with.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Roth

which has been done tprobably hundreds of times, but kept to certain communities. if there was a better clockwork alternative floating around, literally every server would use it, but iirc kuro won't allow it, not sure on that
    sorry, how long has CW been out for? compared to how long have the active complaints and bugs have been around for? hell, CW isn't even in 1.0

14. Amnis

You're mistaken. There are free alternatives to Clockwork, which I will not name here and in my opinion are inferior to Clockwork for the purpose of serious role-play. Clockwork has been out for at least 5+ years from my knowledge, probably a lot longer.

What will fix Clockwork are not complaints, but rather dedicated members of the community who have the initiative to do so. You may perceive this as unfair, but it is the reality. I'm not going to waste my time waiting for the fixes to fix themselves nor demanding others fix them for me. I will instead using the almighty dollar offer an incentive to those capable to get the job done. Be grateful and leave it at that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Roth

i'm not talking about coconut schema or universal union command, i'm talking about actual modified versions of clockwork that have been overhauled by free. mr. meow, for example. even offshoots like atomic and severance count
    sorry, what? have i said paying people to fix clockwork is bad? not at all, i feel as if that should be a motive, but where is the money from those who buy or 'invest' in clockwork going? development? a pool for kuro to pay people to develop? or his iphone x?

16. Amnis

I see. These modifications would be derivatives of Clockwork and thus bound to whatever licensing Clockwork was under - even if that license restricts such derivatives or otherwise limits its distribution.

I'm glad you see the fixes as an accomplishment, I hope to fund more in the future as I expect more issues for my own community's development.

I have no idea where the money goes or how it is used. I have a feeling however that kurozael does not make enough to make a comfortable living off Cloud Sixteen sales. It likely serves as a supplement income. From what I heard, Clockwork will likely transition away from DRM, so we should just make the best of the transitional period.

17. cash wednesday

cash wednesday Owner of UNDERWORLD™ GAMING Clockwork Customer Active Member

what I don't understand is why we have to wait until 2020 for open source Clockwork. if kurozael is confident in timefuser being successful, so successful that he'd phase out Clockwork as a revenue stream, why is it taking so long to do it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  18. Pistol P

Pistol P Active Member

Because he's probably not actually that confident in its success, and he wants to ride the gravy train for a few more years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. kurozael

kurozael Cloud Sixteen Director Staff Member Administrator Investor

If I had time to fix up Clockwork I would, but I just can't anymore. As others have said here, I can't be expected to continue fixing it when GMod updates break things for the rest of my life. I truly believe the community will come together when it goes fully open-source, heck, they come together now and the volunteers in this community never cease to amaze me with their dedication.

I'm just gonna lock this thread now, @Roth you have made your point but the "debate" is becoming pointless and is just going around in circles. If you don't like how things are, you are more than welcome to leave, but please stop posting crap like this now it's just getting boring -- we know how you feel, but I can't change my life circumstances for you @Roth so you'll just have to deal with it.

Thanks again to everybody <3

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Good Coder Good Coder x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.