1. Check out the Store if you're looking to Buy HL2RP or other schemas for your server. You can click Buy Schemas on the very top navigation bar to visit the store.
  2. Use the Plugin Center to easily subscribe to and auto-install Clockwork plugins to your server, or submit and share plugins you have developed.
  3. Having trouble setting up or developing with Clockwork? Check out the Wiki or post in the Support Forum for advice from fellow users.
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, you need a Steam account to register and post on these forums. Login with Steam at the top of the forums to get started!
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, do you want to buy HL2RP or another Clockwork schema? Visit the Cloud Sixteen Store to get started!

Any Sample Schema's Out there that are updated?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by lljsullins, Dec 9, 2017.

1. lljsullins

lljsullins Clockwork Customer

Well, it seems that I can't find a sample schema for my server that I'm wanting to make, and I know one is being made. But is there one anywhere I could use that's not old?
  2. Mixed

Mixed C16 Support Staff Staff Member Store Support Foreign Moderator Clockwork Customer Active Member

This is actually outdated, kurozael actually make a new one.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Mixed

Mixed C16 Support Staff Staff Member Store Support Foreign Moderator Clockwork Customer Active Member

@duck it's outdated by 4 years, idk why you disagree.
  4. duck

duck Phant0m Honorable

And in those 4 years, not much has changed when it's come to schemas. It's missing translations, traits, and some new icon stuff. Everything else is basically unchanged. I'm not sure why people are thinking there has been some massive overhaul in the way schemas are made. Until kurozael publishes the new one, there really is nothing wrong with using it.
  5. kurozael

kurozael Cloud Sixteen Director Staff Member Administrator Investor

Example schema can be found here and will be updated as development on CW 0.98 continues and fleshed out as time goes on. If anybody else wishes to contribute and make pull-requests to help document the example schema or add in better examples please be my guest!

It's actually included now in the Clockwork repository itself to make it easier to access and keep up to date with version changes.

6. cash wednesday

cash wednesday mothership reconnection Honorable Clockwork Customer

This skeleton is less functional than the one RJ & alex made a while back. What was wrong with that one? Why not build off it with the newer features clockwork has to offer?
  7. kurozael

I don't see how its less functional at all, the other ones people made a while back either don't work or are obsolete. This one provides a basic template with the correct folder structure and demonstrates how to organize your schema, which is exactly what an example should do. There are some comments in each example file to outline properties...

"will be updated as development on CW 0.98 continues and fleshed out as time goes on."
    • Like Like x 1
  8. RJ

RJ no pay Honorable Clockwork Customer

I think @cash wednesday was talking about how my version implements popular features/customizations that helps people get their schema in working order: Scoreboard categories, player view colour customization, more font customization, more schema customization [intro music, cash name, quiz questions, etc.], default faction loadout, attributes, medical items, radios, sprays, voices, and zip ties (I compared my version to the one listed above and these are most of the notable differences). While some of those things I listed are copied from other schemas, I'd say most of those items listed are important to making most schemas because they implement familiar and useful features.

edit: Here's my skeleton version for comparison purposes: https://github.com/xRJx/skeleton-fundamentals
  9. cold

cold ej rockwell's worst nightmare Clockwork Customer Active Member

just use RJ's but updated.

or implement everything RJ had into the new one.
  10. kurozael

The only problem I have @RJ is that your Skeleton there uses a lot of code taken from official schemas (and is evident by the header that even says not to distribute the code without permission) such as the Health Kits, Radios, Zip Ties, etc and doesn't work / isn't updated for 0.97 and above. If you could update the Skeleton as not to use code from official schemas and to work with 0.97 then I would endorse it as being an appropriate base.

As for the official Example schema, it will be fleshed out with functionality as 0.98 develops so that it becomes more useful over time and continues to work with the latest supported Clockwork versions.

As you know, versions prior to 0.97 will no longer be supported by Cloud Sixteen in the new year so we recommend that all clients upgrade to a 0.97 or above based schema in the new year to ensure they are still supported by the community here. At some point next year 0.96 schemas and below may cease to function entirely because they will not be updated or distributed after breaking GMod updates.
  11. RJ

Yeah, that's entirely understandable and I acknowledged that. The point I was getting at was that those features are staples to pretty much any schema that anyone wants to make because they make things fun and interesting. In the end, once you boil down people's reasons for playing on Clockwork servers, it's to have fun. While it's true I haven't updated those plugins since their creation, not much has changed since then (with regards to official versions of those features in particular). I wouldn't be surprised if all of those plugins were still in 100% working condition, but that's beside the point.

This draws back to a gripe of mine where I've got to ask, where do you draw the line between opening things up for creativity, innovation, progress, etc. and making money? I know that the more you open up Clockwork's innards the less control you have over people in using official versions. Although too much control just ends up stifling the community's progress at large (that's not to say that the reins haven't been loosened to that regard, e.g. dev keys recently being opened up again).
  12. kurozael

I don't see how letting people have code from HL2RP such as Radios, Health Kits, CustomClass, etc that I made with intent to sell, for free, encourages creativity and innovation. If they were creative and innovative they'd be making their own versions for their schemas and not trying to get as much of other people's work into their own as possible. I've provided the framework which is a significant reduction in the amount of work they have to do to create a working serious roleplaying gamemode; I don't think it's much to ask to pay for HL2RP in order to use that additional content in their own schemas.
  13. RJ

Because that would give the creator more time to spend making new things instead of implementing old things.

What you mention actually brings up a fair compromise imo. How about offering a separate skeleton to customers that have certain schemas already purchased, or perhaps a premium skeleton so to speak? It would offer a lot of popular features already available in other schemas, but the catch is that you pay X amount, or have to own Y and Z schemas for example.
  14. [I:RP] Xeno

[I:RP] Xeno Who I am depends on who you learn it from. Active Member

I like what RJ said. What if you had a skeleton inside HL2RP, for example? Or better, add more comments onto the files to explain how the code works better?
    But that would promote modification and re-distribution of the code...
    Yeah idk.
  15. duck

duck Phant0m Honorable

The purpose of the skeleton isn't to teach you lua, it's to show you how to structure a schema. Comments shouldn't explain how code works, they should explain how to use features in the framework. There shouldn't even be many comments in the first place. This kind of stuff is what the wiki is for.
  16. kurozael

As Duck said. I wanted to avoid providing a one-size-fits-all "skeleton" because it doesn't encourage learning, all it does is give somebody a well-written base that they can make a few small adjustments too and then call it their own work. Clockwork is already a massive reduction to the work people need to do to create a gamemode, I shouldn't have to make the gamemode itself for free for them too. Clockwork was created for DEVELOPERS to make the roleplaying gamemode they've always wanted to build, I re-iterate: it isn't for noobs to take it, make a few mods, and then brand it as their own work.

I will always encourage would-be developers to continue to learn Lua, to learn the framework simply by reading through its code and documentation, by using schemas they've paid for as examples, and then use all that knowledge to build their own using the skeleton schema provided.

If you simply want a bunch of features from HL2RP, Phase Four, etc in your own schema, then the best thing to do is buy those schemas and then use the code in your schema so long as you retain original credits for that work. The worst thing you can do, for me, and for yourself, is to take other people's work and claim that you made it; not only does this not help in improving your own skills, but it makes you look bad when people end up realising that you don't understand what it's doing.

I hope that by now providing free keys to custom schemas, people will continue to grow and learn more about how the framework works and create new, innovative content rather than re-hashing work other people have already created.

• Like Like x 2
  17. [I:RP] Xeno

That's what I meant.
  18. RJ

So what'd you think of the idea I mentioned? Is that a possibility or is it off the table? When I first started working with Lua I had no idea what I was reading for the most part. Part of my journey for learning Lua and getting better involved using other people's working code and then modifying it to the way I wanted. That played a big role in learning for myself and I'm sure others feel the same. I don't think my idea works contrary to that and it would seem like a good middle ground for having a skeleton with extra features that people can build off of.
  19. [I:RP] Xeno

That's how I know the little I know that.
    Looked at other's code, edited some parts, learned how they worked.

Previous Readers (Total: 0)