1. Check out the Store if you're looking to Buy HL2RP or other schemas for your server. You can click Buy Schemas on the very top navigation bar to visit the store.
  2. Use the Plugin Center to easily subscribe to and auto-install Clockwork plugins to your server, or submit and share plugins you have developed.
  3. Having trouble setting up or developing with Clockwork? Check out the Wiki or post in the Support Forum for advice from fellow users.
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, you need a Steam account to register and post on these forums. Login with Steam at the top of the forums to get started!
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, do you want to buy HL2RP or another Clockwork schema? Visit the Cloud Sixteen Store to get started!

Other Appropriate Character Personalities for Owners

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by NoahtheBoah36™, Apr 14, 2018.

1. NoahtheBoah36™

NoahtheBoah36™ Clockwork Customer Active Member

So, I've been reflecting a lot recently on my past ventures in server owning, and have been thinking about the characters I played/created, as well as those I've seen used by owners of other servers that I've played on, both HL2RP themed and others. It's made me wonder recently, about taboos and the like that might unknowingly be applied to the characters of owners. Obviously the overpowered, overgeared characters are big no-no's for owner characters, but what about personality traits? Sexual preference, gender, etc. could all have a lot of unspoken prejudices attached to them by the players of a server. I'm curious if anybody else has thought about this and/or has any insights into what might be some bad ones. I'll start with some of my observations.

1. Female characters belonging to owners, regardless of how they are played, seem to be negatives in my experience, at the very least in the long run.
    2. ERPing owners, and characters they ERP on, obviously have the associated stigmas, but seemingly amplified, presumably because of the suspicion that they are abusing Owner powers to get their ERP and/or creating an "inner circle" of ERPers.
    3. Mentally Ill or "humorous" characters seem to trigger negative responses. For example, I had a character named Bofa Brown, he's a black guy who acts like a stereotypical black gangster guy in an attempt to avoid suspicion (hoping people will look down upon him) to stay more or less under people's radar by "hiding in plain sight." This seemed to generate negative responses with people leaving the server while I was talking to them on this character.

Any other ideas?

2. dead flag blues

dead flag blues "...ours is a world of nuclear giants..." Clockwork Customer Active Member

Supportive roles. Create a character player's can connect with and aids to character development.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  3. CPT. Maxii

CPT. Maxii Clockwork Customer Active Member

We can make a really long list. Anything an owner does can be interpretated in a highly controversial way. You represent the entire community at all times, so you are always judged. Owners should be humble and intelligent in behavior and decivise and effective in action.

Anything can be seen extremely negatively and take down the credibility of the owner and community and potentially kill it.

Playing a high rank on your own server or letting your admins play all the high ranks.
    A donation system which is subscription based, high priced or has ridiciluous perks.
    Active participation in off-topic/meme channels, meme profile pictures or memey characters.
    Taking on new staff can be highly controversial aswell, because that new operator is a close friend of the owner?
    The owner shoots a player on the server and is subsequently PKed. Abuse must have been in play.

It's not a topic to actively discuss or think of. It's hugely demotivating and makes you lose faith in your own playerbase.
    Something you should keep in the back of your head when you make decisions as a server owner.

4. SamWillington

SamWillington Clockwork Customer

Generally, an approach I find useful is to play on a separate account when role-playing which only staff is aware of. Anything you do on your owner account will be taken by, like, anyone, as being abusive or power-gamed. Having an account for admin purposes and one for player purposes has generally, from experience, stopped people from complaining.

If you really desperately want to use your owner account, though, it only seems like the player-base will allow you to use characters which are extremely boring and mundane. Good luck.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. NoahtheBoah36™

I've thought about that from time to time but never actually ever heard of it being implemented or anything like that, and I must say that that's quite interesting. I might have to try that if I run a server in the future.

6. CPT. Maxii

Worst idea ever. It shows off that you as a owner don't trust your playerbase and that the playerbase doesn't trust you. What stops you from making the most ridiciluous characters, misbehave yourself? For players it appears as if someone is immune from amy administrative method.

It's shady. And if it leaks you are even more fucked.
    Reasons I listed as example on how owners are criticized are fantastic. They regulate quality and wipe out bad owners. Going into the dark shouldn't even be considered an option, because it shows you have no backbone and would rather hide than confront people with your method of roleplay and administration directly.

7. SamWillington

What stops you from making the most ridiculous characters and misbehaving is that the staff at least are aware and would probably call you out if you went overboard. And as an owner anyway, you should follow the rules. Players who are active would probably figure it out anyway.

However I agree that it isn't perfect. But the player base generally has a consistency to mock or blame the owner for everything they do. It depends on the server whether or not you decide to play on your own account, or a separate one. As an owner, you generally should just develop thick skin and get on with it. I was just providing an alternative that has personally worked.

8. CPT. Maxii

You only counter a few of my points. It's still very shady and just escaping behavior, not confronting the reality directly. If the owner is a scapegoat already, like you say, then making a secret account will do nothing, as the owner is still a default scapegoat.

Owning a server brings it's responsibilities, factoring in that you don't have a "private roleplay" reality anymore. You are meant to manage the server and direct the staff, not play out your roleplay fantasies with characters that are controversial or be involved in otherwise controversial events.

9. dead flag blues

dead flag blues "...ours is a world of nuclear giants..." Clockwork Customer Active Member

Pretending to be an average player seems more dishonest than anything else.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. SamWillington

...when did anyone mention controversial characters or events?

You totally ignored my second paragraph in which I explained that it wasn't perfect, worked for me at least and the owner has to develop thick skin and get on with it.

> leveling using a separate account higher than actually doing something dishonest, such as scamming. lolk. I don't see how wanting to use a differentaccount to stop being harassed by players whilst trying to play on your own server is dishonest at all. IIRC people who work for sizable companies use separate accounts on their games to prevent harassment from players..

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Vented

Vented Guest

i was going to agree with the alt account idea, but no way in hell your staff members are gonna keep that quiet.
    I don't care how much you trust them, they'll slip up one day, and when everyone finds out you've been trying to avoid the owner position, they'll call you immature or something and (probably) hate you even more lol.

being an owner in CLOCKWORK hl2rp sucks ass nowadays because you have all of these people (mostly begotten fags) with their own kink ideas joining the server. one day you're gonna get someone who argues with you about /roll or s2k, char transfers, or even the map choice.

dude i even had a guy complain about the ui sounds i picked for the tab menu, its a fucking joke how people are these days

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. NoahtheBoah36™

On the note of complaining I had this one guy who came in and basically insisted I copy nebulous and use their minister system on a 20 slot server that rarely ever broke 10 people. I usually have taken the approach of just not listening to people unless they make threads on forums about it, as I figure if they are willing to go to the effort they actually care and aren't just spewing bullshit in my direction for the shits and giggles.

As for that separate issue over the controversy of using an alternate account, I personally think that it could be a good idea if you're careful with it, but you'd have to be very careful about it and I probably wouldn't inform my staff members personally as in the past I've found that my staff, in the end, turn into the biggest troublemakers.

13. Digital Junkie

Digital Junkie Active Member

Yea what server do you run?
    Asking for a friend.

Also if a owner plays a character they automatically suck.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. SamWillington

thank you for your immense input into this conversation.

15. Digital Junkie

Weird how you are dodging my questions...

Also if you want to know about my opinion ask... pal

16. Vented

Vented Guest

dude holy fuck i HATE the people that recommend me and my friends to use nebulous systems.

why the fuck would i use a ranking system that goes by fucking quarters in the us currency system, have the most random and basic cp divisions that are used as fucking "codenames"? and twenty cwu positions that only cause fucking chaos in an actual serious scenario

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Digital Junkie

Head senior human resources janitor

• Like Like x 1
  18. SamWillington

I used to own Zinx Roleplay, to answer your question. And sure, go give me your opinion

19. Digital Junkie

A dead server? Alright guys move along....

Owners who play characters instead of running events or helping staff usually have a god complex or an animal as their avatar. Or both!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. SamWillington

So somehow just because you role-play on your own server means that you can't help staff or run events? You literally sound like you've never owned a server and just constantly criticize without knowing how a staff team works. And judging me just because of my avatar? Yeah. Nice job.

Previous Readers (Total: 0)