1. Check out the Store if you're looking to Buy HL2RP or other schemas for your server. You can click Buy Schemas on the very top navigation bar to visit the store.
  2. Use the Plugin Center to easily subscribe to and auto-install Clockwork plugins to your server, or submit and share plugins you have developed.
  3. Having trouble setting up or developing with Clockwork? Check out the Wiki or post in the Support Forum for advice from fellow users.
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, you need a Steam account to register and post on these forums. Login with Steam at the top of the forums to get started!
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, do you want to buy HL2RP or another Clockwork schema? Visit the Cloud Sixteen Store to get started!

CW:HL2RP AI Idea Pitch

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Roachdaripper, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Roachdaripper

Roachdaripper Clockwork Customer

So I figured I'd post on C16 to get an idea of how many people might actually use this addon before I make it, since I feel it'd be an utmost waste to only have it be used once and then never again afterwards.

Essentially. My idea is a custom Citizen AI for HL2RP using placeable nodes (custom made) and Nextbot.

The citizens themselves will function similarly to the Sims addon, but will be entirely HL2RP focused, with Citizens deciding to sit down on benches, converse, do petty jobs for tokens/loyalist points, and even collect rations.

The whole point of the addon is to make the Plaza feel like a Plaza from Half-Life 2, something that most servers simply can't replicate due to rebels/CP's/Lack of a decent playerbase/All of the above.
    (It also removes that excuse to sweep the slums because "MISCOUNT PLAZA EMPTYYYYY")

I also may go as far as giving the citizens randomly generated names/descriptions, and /me functionality.

What do you guys think?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Box Box x 1
  2. dead flag blues

dead flag blues "...ours is a world of nuclear giants..." Clockwork Customer Active Member

This may be more about creating priorities as staff on the server rather than replace roleplay with NPCs. Even if it simulated the feeling that more players were on, there's still that lack of interaction with this method. It may be more effective to create a lively economy and an implied sustem for the city on the server and create reasons for players to gravitate toward the plaza as it would become the hub for roleplay. Typically, if the slums also aren't blocked off and administration is making an effort to keep the activity within the plaza and focused on the citizen faction, it'll change the entire dynamic of the server.

3. kief

kief kind bud Manager

me and the rest of the people in the servers i run with have messed around with ai's in the past, and, in general, they don't run the way you want them to.
    from my experience you'll need to put in a load of work for a payoff that only will be seen as mediocre at best when it comes to it.
    i mean, in all honesty, there is also the qualitative aspect of it all
    do you really wanna make your rp server a crafted server over roleplay or automation? when people know that you have ai's and not players, it can ruin the so-called immersion, so-to-speak.

4. Roachdaripper

I like your POV on it, and the idea is not to give too much focus to them - only have them in small numbers, such as 3 or 4, to make the Plaza look like its actually being used.

The whole /me support idea also makes them seem like players, in-fact, if that mechanic was in place, the only way a player would know it was a bot would be if they looked on the scoreboard.

5. kief

kief kind bud Manager

there is no true way to make an ai like a player within the bounds of gmod unless you put forth the effort to try and attempt to code it
    either way, /me's produced would have to be syntax bound, and once people begin to learn the patterns and see how those ai interact with the world it would be easy to tell them apart, epecially in a gamemode meant for the interaction of players not ai

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. RJ

RJ no pay Legend Clockwork Customer

I think you'd be better off to make a CP AI over a Citizen AI. Simpler to make, less likely to break immersion since the interactions are usually basic enough (they wouldn't really need to hold a conversation, they can do things with less restriction, etc.).

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Johnny

Johnny Clockwork Customer

I have this type of AI, that's works with nodes, but without interactions :p

8. karl-police

karl-police Hotrod turret Clockwork Customer Active Member

STEAAAAAAAALER
    STEAAAAAAAAAAAAALEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER
    STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALER

maybe
    @RJ

9. RJ

wat

10. Roachdaripper

I was planning on making both in the end. Although a CP AI would be marginally easier to make, the main idea behind the Citizen AI was to make the plaza seem less like a ghost town.

11. RJ

I guess the complexity would depend on what you're going for. If you're making the AI with the intent of them interacting with other players then the CP AI would be significantly easier as it'd only have to check for simple things (someone taking damage, using certain commands, etc.). The Citizen AI would have to emulate human behavior like conversations, relations, etc.

edit: Although one way to get around that complexity would be to have a conversation box that's brought up when you press e on the AI. It'd bring up a box with predefined phrases and would give predefined responses, much like Fallout.

12. Tyrex

Tyrex Active Member

you could just make it so if you interact with them they just say voicelines like in hl2 and continue their business

13. Knight

Knight Active Member

I don't think alot of people would be interested in my honest opinion, sure it's a neat sounding plugin, but Roleplay is about interaction, which this doesn't allow.

Previous Readers (Total: 0)