1. Check out the Store if you're looking to Buy HL2RP or other schemas for your server. You can click Buy Schemas on the very top navigation bar to visit the store.
  2. Use the Plugin Center to easily subscribe to and auto-install Clockwork plugins to your server, or submit and share plugins you have developed.
  3. Having trouble setting up or developing with Clockwork? Check out the Wiki or post in the Support Forum for advice from fellow users.
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, you need a Steam account to register and post on these forums. Login with Steam at the top of the forums to get started!
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, do you want to buy HL2RP or another Clockwork schema? Visit the Cloud Sixteen Store to get started!

Atomic Fallout Roleplay Questions

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by De_Serge2g, Mar 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What would you guys like to see in a fallout rp? Mainly asking for locations, factions, environment, time period, custom content, etc.

Also what is your opinion on fallout 4 styled power armor vs NV and 3 styled?
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Digital Junkie

Digital Junkie Active Member

Nothing really, there is a perfect server with like 52 players.
    Thanks though.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. That isn't exactly helpful information, it's just a general question of what you would like from a fallout server.
  4. Digital Junkie

I can link you the server and you can see the pros and cons of it.
  5. Aberidius

Aberidius Can I lighten that coin purse up for ya? Staff Member Store Support Clockwork Customer Active Member

There is a new fallout server that is really amazing, but it isn't built on CW, it's on a different framework.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Doris

Doris Active Member

Out of curiosity, what's the name of the server?
  7. WestCoastKillers

WestCoastKillers all links to the manifesto Clockwork Customer

don't even try. nobody is going to play on it. that may seem harsh, but it's the sad reality.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Digital Junkie

9. Reagent

Reagent The Reagent Menace Active Member

atlas is garbage lol. give it a week and it'll be 20/52 for a month then the owner will pull the plug
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I'm just curious what people like in a fallout rp server, wasn't looking to become super popular or anything.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. chuck

chuck king of private sector Active Member

In theory, a Fallout server would be great. The Fallout universe is vast, and easily expanded upon. Unfortunately, they never work out like that.

After Lazarus, every single Fallout server that's been put up has been taken down a month later.
    I remember playing on a promising one a while back. There was a member of the staff who was super competent and roleplayed really well. If the staff team had been full of clones of him, I'm sure the server would've lasted longer. It's no longer up, and I think the same thing is going to happen to Atlas-5.

I don't really understand why Fallout servers have this curse. Fallout is 100% more interesting than Half-Life. The Fallout servers I've played on seem to be different, and somewhat interesting. I guess it's the same thing that makes a Half-Life 2 server bad, but on a less-accessible scale.

If you're looking to find out what people like in a Fallout RP server, you should probably start off with what people like in a server regardless of the theme.
    I've said this a million times. People like a story, something that drives roleplay.

Don't expect to put a server up and have people join and stay if there's nothing keeping them there.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. NoahtheBoah36™

NoahtheBoah36™ Clockwork Customer Active Member

As somebody who ran a fallout server for a little while (albeit, it failed because of internal community drama and issues surrounding playerbase and, ultimately, my poor decisions as an owner), I can tell you the following about my 5+ years of experience with Fallout Serious RP, both on Clockwork and similar scripts.

The most important thing is the economy of the Fallout server. Fallout RP isn't HL2RP. It's essential that people be able to get a firearm within two days of playing, or else they won't feel like it's Fallout. I know that sounds contrary to the "you don't need weapons to roleplay" stance of Serious RP, but think about the setting of Fallout: Post-Apocalyptic wasteland where everybody has a gun and has zero qualms about taking your shit.

Now, from an administrative standpoint, there are a few critical pieces:
    • No more than two active factions at a time, with an additional faction for every 10 players over 30 that you get on average. Too many factions leads to faction inactivity, which causes the death of whatever canon you are running.
    • Mugging/Raiding Rules. Letting people take everything from a person is a surefire way to result in a lot of drama over every single mugging scenario. The rules I went with while running my server is 25% of currency and actively equipped weapons only, with a couple of very specific exceptions that were kind of server-specific (faction leads, specifically, as they had admin backpacks and unlimited cash). Another thing I'd recommend is that if you die while conducting a mugging, it is a PK, and if you resist a mugging, it is a PK if you die. This is to add true risk to such scenarios, and makes people think twice before going on a mass mugging rampage.
    • Cheap and available ammo. If you want an S2M server especially, it's essential that ammo be cheap and easy to get. Not free, just cheap. People already spend enough money on the gun, and again, this is Fallout, not Metro or Stalker RP. Ammo is all over the place in the (vanilla) Fallout games by Bethesda, so it should be easy to get with your RP.
    • Fallout style weapons. Nothing is more important than having Fallout looking guns. If any one thing is more important to immersion, it's the thing they'll be holding in their hands 90% of the time.
    • Salesmen, DO NOT USE THEM! I can help you with this coding bit if you want, but I highly recommend having a merchant flag/whitelist and not using salesmen. The issue with salesmen is simply that they break immersion, and having player merchants adds another check on minges getting guns. Think about it: you have to actually RP with somebody to get a gun, versus walking up to an entity, pressing e, clicking a few things, and done. The merchant also makes more RP opportunities, such as the ability to go hold up a store, or providing a social hangout.
    • You need one of two things: constant events or a loot system. The constant events can be solved by Gamemasters, but can get tiring and often leads to staff exhaustion. Option 2, loot system, can be run multiple ways. Staff oversight and rolling is one, but again leads to staff exhaustion. A community out there that runs something similar to, but not actually Clockwork, as well as my server, had the right idea with an automated loot system. Junk items spawn around the map. Interacting with them yields cash. It's simple and gets people out of their comfort zones, allowing for more conflict and RP opportunities, as it forces people to take risks to get ahead. I can help you with coding this if you would like.
    • Don't ban people from getting energy weapons/power armor, just make them reasonably expensive. If you want to make them rare, that's fine, but make them something that a player can aspire to obtain some day. Something like 10,000 caps for a suit of T-45d can be a good starting point (of course, prices should vary depending on how wealthy your economy is).
    Now on to your actual question: Canon.
    • Settings are best when they are recent enough that the people playing Gmod are familiar with them. I am aware there is a huge nostalgia surrounding Fallout 2 and the original Fallout, but hear me out. Serious RP is a dying breed on Gmod, and the more modern players reject Fallout and Fallout 2, whereas the OG players don't necessarily reject FO3, FONV, and FO4 in the same way. You're very much better off sticking to at the very least lore that players of the Bethesda-Obsidian games can understand. NCR is fine, but don't try to go back to the time of the Master's Army.
    • Whatever you choose, don't have just a wild wasteland. Having a primary town near, but not in, the spawn is essential, as it gives fresh spawns somewhere safe to run to and get the low down before heading into the wasteland. As harsh as Fallout is, there needs to be a safe haven.
    • Avoid having all factions be overpowered. Brotherhood versus Enclave leads to the issue of the factions being so technologically advanced that there is zero interaction with the wastelanders at all. Better is NCR versus Legion, or NCR versus Brotherhood. If you do run Brotherhood though, I recommend running a Lyons/Maxson era Brotherhood with semi-open recruitment to outsiders, so they can serve as questgivers and become a pillar of RP, as the NCR will become, rather than just those power-armored assholes that take away from everybody's fun.
    • Don't force a war necessarily. Brotherhood and NCR being at odds, but not at war, is better than two factions being strictly at war. It gives opportunity for nuanced deception and cold war-style tactics between the two factions prior to any true armed conflict breaking out, and as such really gives people a feel of tension compared to just the occasional planned shootout between two factions.
    Beyond all that, I'm happy to help you with anything you need as I did this before, and I'll do it all in secret so my reputation doesn't harm your server, but hopefully this helps if you don't take me up on that offer.

Edit: I want to clarify what I mean by poor decisions as an owner: it had nothing to do really with the gamemode, as everybody loved the gamemode. Instead I mean things like changing canons too frequently, banning people because I disliked them, etc.
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018 at 8:44 PM
  13. dead flag blues

dead flag blues "...ours is a world of nuclear giants..." Clockwork Customer Active Member

You forgot to list 12yo scribes in the Brotherhood of Steel!
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. Lt. Dan Taylor

Lt. Dan Taylor Active Member

This is a huge-ass block of text. But honestly to break it down most of this stuff is quite common-sense. 'Don't have a faction war that the average player can't partake in'. Okay, that's cool?

From a server-running standpoint it seems to me you ran a server with no idea on how servers should work and when it inevitably failed you learned the bare-basics of what you should've done.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. NoahtheBoah36™

NoahtheBoah36™ Clockwork Customer Active Member

It was a squire, not a scribe.

Seems irrelevant when I'm trying to give advice to a guy who asked for it to rag on a dead server belonging to somebody that's no longer involved in server development and hasn't played GMod for something like two months until this post, but since you brought it up: everybody starts somewhere. I started with zero experience, and by the end, if I knew what I was doing, I'd say that the whole thing, which was simply a passion project and a recreational activity, was successful, no? Flaming me seems a bit toxic and simply unnecessary when I'm one of the few people providing real assistance to the guy asking questions. However, if everything is so common sense, let me point out some things to you:

1. Faction wars aren't normally a thing for most RPers, as most only play in HL2RP, which doesn't have factions in the same sense, so a lot of RPers might be completely unfamiliar with the idea.
    2. If that's the only problem with the "huge-ass block of text" then it seems perhaps my advice was more positive than negative, so why comment in such a harsh way? I'm trying to share knowledge and experience with people, and your response is to hate me for the things that gave me that knowledge and experience. This isn't about my server, it's about theirs. So, please, for the sake of this guy, drop it.
    • Good Coder Good Coder x 1
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018 at 8:38 PM
  16. Digital Junkie

His server isnt coming up.
  17. cold

cold ej rockwell's worst nightmare Clockwork Customer Active Member

don't /thread yourself you loser
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Digital Junkie

19. chuck