1. Check out the Store if you're looking to Buy HL2RP or other schemas for your server. You can click Buy Schemas on the very top navigation bar to visit the store.
  2. Use the Plugin Center to easily subscribe to and auto-install Clockwork plugins to your server, or submit and share plugins you have developed.
  3. Having trouble setting up or developing with Clockwork? Check out the Wiki or post in the Support Forum for advice from fellow users.
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, you need a Steam account to register and post on these forums. Login with Steam at the top of the forums to get started!
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, do you want to buy HL2RP or another Clockwork schema? Visit the Cloud Sixteen Store to get started!

Inspirational movie speeches

Discussion in 'Creative Media' started by Amnis, May 11, 2018.

1. Amnis

Amnis Clockwork Customer Active Member

[​IMG]

Cabal: Rest enough for the individual man. Too much and too soon, and we call it death. But for Man, no rest and no ending. He must go on, conquest beyond conquest. First this little planet and its winds and ways. And then all the laws of mind and matter that restrain him. Then the planets about him... and at last, out across immensity to the stars. And when he has conquered all the deeps of Space, and all the mysteries of Time, still he will be beginning.

Passworthy: But we're such little creatures. Poor humanity's so fragile, so weak. Little... little animals.

Cabal: Little animals. And if we're no more than animals, then we must snatch each little scrap of happiness, and live and suffer and pass, mattering no more than all the other animals do or have done. It is this, or that - all the Universe or nothingness! Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?

From Things to Come (1936) - IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028358/

Things to Come has always been one of my favourite films. Despite being very old and outdated in style, it still rings true for our time. Cabal represents the man of science, of progress, with relentless faith in the human condition to defeat all odds. Passworthy is the pessimist, preferring to take things safe and never seek out change.

Nowadays this contrast is still very true. Many hold misguided negative views of genetic engineering, decrying "meddling" with nature, and God forbid we prevent the planet from starving. Many continue to doubt the world's greatest minds and thinkers who back their ideas up not with wisdom alone, but with the only thing that matters: scientific truth. And while we bicker over the economy and geopolitical interests, our planet's ecosystem and our very future is at stake.

In the movie, a global technocratic state called "Wings Over the World" liberates humanity from a perpetual state of ignorance. With an end to markets, politics, and all that restrains progress, the airmen go from state to state, waging not war, but civilization. One of these states is run by an autocratic leader "The Boss" whose sole interest is to get his war machines up in the air, so he may pummel his enemies like his ancestors before him. This is the conversation that follows:

The Boss: Who are you, I said!
    John Cabal: The law. Law and sanity.
    The Boss: I'm the law here!
    John Cabal: I said law and sanity.

Once humanity has been united, the masses eventually grow to take progress for granted. I compare much to the same view on vaccines. One of my family members had the misfortune of having polio before a vaccine was released for it. Jonas Salk, oddly not as well known as Jesus Christ, spared countless millions of future generations of polio by developing a vaccine for it. Most people today, especially younger generations unfortunately have probably never heard of him despite them owing a great deal to this man. Polio left my family member crippled and barely able to walk. To this day he remarkably lives, a portable machine helps him breathe - all thanks to the work of scientists and engineers who dared to meddle with nature. I never got polio because I was vaccinated. Other people in my country no longer got polio because they were vaccinated. Words cannot describe after seeing the condition of my family member how immensely grateful I am for Jonas Salk and the radical work other scientists do. It is a good thing they meddle with nature. Despite the polio vaccine costing as low as $0.25 USD, polio remarkably still remains of problem throughout some parts of the world, ruining countless lives of children, wasting human potential. This happens for a number of reasons, but the worst of all being misinformation.

I agree with Cabal that there is no end to progress and the only direction is either forwards or backwards. May our scientists continue to save and spare billions from pain and suffering. So, what of pessimists? Let them whine about the future and romanticize the "good-ol-days" of worse disease and standard of living. For if it were not for progress, future generations would know only of the past, and there would be never a need for tomorrow.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Box Box x 1

Previous Readers (Total: 0)