1. Check out the Store if you're looking to Buy HL2RP or other schemas for your server. You can click Buy Schemas on the very top navigation bar to visit the store.
  2. Use the Plugin Center to easily subscribe to and auto-install Clockwork plugins to your server, or submit and share plugins you have developed.
  3. Having trouble setting up or developing with Clockwork? Check out the Wiki or post in the Support Forum for advice from fellow users.
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, you need a Steam account to register and post on these forums. Login with Steam at the top of the forums to get started!
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, do you want to buy HL2RP or another Clockwork schema? Visit the Cloud Sixteen Store to get started!

is clockwork for free

Discussion in 'Fast Threads' started by Fear, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Fear

Fear Clockwork Customer

Do I need to buy something to make a custom gamemode with clockwork?
    Ive tried to look that up in the wiki but nothing there :confused:

2. Herosloth

Herosloth Runs a shitty Hl2rp community Clockwork Customer Active Member

I believe you need to still apply for a dev key, RJ has made a skeleton schema and you can pull github cw. The framework is free. The schema is the paid content. But you can develop whatever you want. You just can't run it without a dev serial key.

Correct me if I'm wrong please.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Herosloth

I really hate double posting but..

You should always apply for a dev key early. It took me months to get my old one. I heard my friend took three months just to get his.

4. Fear

Fear Clockwork Customer

How exactly do I proceed in doing that? Do I have to contact somebody or is there a thread/forum for that?

5. RJ

RJ no pay Legend Clockwork Customer

Clockwork is "free" in a sense that you'll more than likely have to pay money to actually use it. I believe it was kurozael's intention to have a system in place for people to apply for dev keys with ease and those that actually put in the effort (instead of just copy/paste) would get a dev key, unfortunately that system hasn't come to fruition yet.

Note: When I say "applying with ease" that includes getting your application reviewed in a timely manner. I don't consider "checking out in a grocery store with ease" when I wait in line for months on end.

Clockwork was always advertised as free to use but is protected behind a DRM that prevents doing anything useful with it. At this point it's just keeping that advertising point on a technicality of it being available on GitHub for free, but I don't know it's kind of annoying... It's like saying you have free apples that you could take but you're only allowed to look at it and smash it open, if you want to eat it then you have to pay (which kind of defeats the purpose of having a free apple).

edit: Also here's the skeleton schema if you need it: https://github.com/xRJx/skeleton-fundamentals

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Herosloth

I don't remember how to apply for a dev key, I do know that I need a new one.

7. RJ

There was a webpage hosted on Cloud Sixteen where you could apply, but it's since been buried/removed. At this point someone would have to get in contact with kurozael personally through forum PM/email/Steam/etc.

8. Herosloth

9. Sheeplie

Sheeplie Hi. Active Member

I don't think this is against any rules or anything, since I've seen it done before, so I'll say it. If it violates anything, a mod can just hide this post.
    I've seen servers like Site 86 simply edit/make plugins/whatever the HL2RP gamemode to their liking. It seems to me that most important things can be replaced for a custom gamemode, and you can simply advertise whatever universe you're running in your server name. This will also likely boost your visibility, as far more people check HL2RP server listings than look for any custom clockwork gamemodes. To summarize, it's beneficial to your workload, your popularity, and it's a workaround for the arduous task of getting a dev key. So, as long as there's nothing wrong with it, I'd recommend doing it that way.

• Agree Agree x 8
  10. Fear

Fear Clockwork Customer

I am not going to spend 20$ when there are plenty more frameworks that are free, and they reply to my questions way faster than the support tickets here aswell I dont understand why it costs so much. (not trying to rant here)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Aflac

Aflac Big Guy

then don't

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. Fear

Fear Clockwork Customer

Have a guess what I am doing then? Exactly that sherlock

13. Good for you. Nobody is stopping you, and your business isn't imperative to the company's success. So I welcome you to use sub-par frameworks with the hysterical attitude of "do it yourself." If you got the skills, why not? But know that insisting to use other frameworks brings with it it's own problems.

14. Aflac

Aflac Big Guy

you know what I'm gonna go make my own framework!
    with blackjack and hookers!
    I'll call it duckscript
    @duck you with me homes
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Herosloth

While I think it is silly that a paid framework is benign to you.

Paying for a dev key is ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. RJ

I'm really starting to dislike this mentality of "if you don't like it, don't buy it." It's being used more and more to excuse any kind of criticism and to negate any impact of bad business practices. It's bad judgement to ward off potential customers when they themselves tell you when they would give you money. I get that people don't want to deal with the negativity in general, but turning a blind eye just leads to hate-mobs forming and causing much more damage than if people's suggestions were considered and maybe even implemented if reasonable enough.

Is it so bad to want to pay less for a product that's been out for quite some time and that's gaining more and more competitors? No, I'm sure enough money has already been made and at a certain point a product has to enter long term support: A means of maintaining popularity for an idea that's becoming increasingly overused.

Is it so bad to want to be able to use something that has great potential without so much red tape? No, the more effort it takes someone to work with something then the less people that will get involved, leading to less innovation, less popularity, and it's inevitable downfall.

I'm just a bit flustered because it feels like everyone's in a burning building and people are just putting blindfolds and earplugs on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. blackfire

blackfire A man of the moment.

How can you all justify charging for a devkey when conna has time and time again in the past, prior to release, said the framework will be usable for free, and that he'd only charge for use of the schemas he released?

18. Because when you buy a schema, you can argue that you're technically buying the key, considering that a schema is worthless without said key. A dev key is basically a blank key you can use for whatever. The framework is free, too. You can download it from github and it won't cost you anything at all.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Fear

Fear Clockwork Customer

But If I understand this correctly you say I could use a HL2RP Shema, remove the shema though and make my own gamemode?
    Why hasnt anyone told me this before I already got hl2rp for CW

Previous Readers (Total: 0)