1. Check out the Store if you're looking to Buy HL2RP or other schemas for your server. You can click Buy Schemas on the very top navigation bar to visit the store.
  2. Use the Plugin Center to easily subscribe to and auto-install Clockwork plugins to your server, or submit and share plugins you have developed.
  3. Having trouble setting up or developing with Clockwork? Check out the Wiki or post in the Support Forum for advice from fellow users.
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, you need a Steam account to register and post on these forums. Login with Steam at the top of the forums to get started!
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, do you want to buy HL2RP or another Clockwork schema? Visit the Cloud Sixteen Store to get started!

Lua scripting, teacher wanted!

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Echo, May 13, 2018.

1. Hello scripters,
    I am very new to scripting and i know nothing about it... I really want to learn lua scripting for gmod/hl2rp and youtube isn't helping me much... Anyone out that that's interested in helping me?

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. vexus

vexus ej rockwell's worst nightmare Legend Clockwork Customer

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. RJ

RJ no pay Legend Clockwork Customer

• Like Like x 1
  4. OfficialGhost253

OfficialGhost253 Clockwork Customer

I wouldn't say this would help anyone that's 100% new to the development setting because the wiki has been incomplete for as long as I can remember. And even with the information it has, it couldn't be any more bare bones.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Amnis

Amnis Clockwork Customer Active Member

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Although I learned the basics of Python back in school and they have stuck with ever since, I have never actually been able to get into other languages beyond simple edits. Programming like other topics seems to be divided into syntax and application. I understand the syntax of Python, but using it beyond IDLE and the command line? I have no clue. So even if the OP can get a grasp of the syntax of Lua, they'd then have to learn how to apply it for Garry's Mod.

6. RJ

I suppose it would at least be helpful for setting up a server to develop on. I recall kurozael was working on a new wiki website that's got all of the documentation on there. I may just work on a similar website so people can use that in the interim since the documentation is available in JSON format now: https://github.com/CloudSixteen/Clockwork/blob/master/Codebase/site/public/generated.json

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. OfficialGhost253

Well, pretty much all there is to that is more or less figuring out the minute functions within Glua. It'll be easier to understand it if he starts with learning the base Lua language because Lua mainly focuses on real-world applications in terms of program creation. But Glua on the other hand brings up hundreds of potentially confusing functions made specifically for Garry's Mod, ultimately making scripting a game changer for someone like me who understands the syntax, but can't grasp the usage of Glua's functions easily. It takes a lot of research, trial, and error. So in that case, I'd have to just recommend using the Lua handbook, and whenever the OP feels he/she/it is ready, stare at the Garry's Mod wiki just browsing through all those hooks, libraries, functions, etc etc.

That would be fuckin' amazing because I've noticed that the Clockwork Schema and it's gamemodes are scripted in a way that you usually wouldn't see in other gamemodes. Especially with some of the Schema:, !Schema, Clockwork., and other similar stuff like that - that personally throws me off.

If that site could go into detail focusing on that distinct style Clockwork is coded in, I'd be grateful as hell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. RJ

Yeah, CW just uses a different convention from the other gamemodes. I think the Schema/Clockwork.x is to do with metatables? I may be wrong but that's what comes to mind. It stores every function/variable inside of Clockwork and Schema tables and returns its 'self' when the function is called because of the colon ( : ) usage, I can't remember the specifics behind that functionality because I read about it a long time ago.

Also one thing about the exclamation mark ( ! ) in !Schema, that was most likely used in an if statement and that just means that the if statement will pass if the function called returns false.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. OfficialGhost253

Well with that being said, that's more insight that people can use to improve. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Resist

Resist Fucking shithead Active Member

Hiring a coder whos more experienced is better. Clockwork and lua in general is a hassle. Good luck if you decide to go through with it thou

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Don't rely on others to do your coding work for you, just learn how to do it yourself. Lua isn't a hassle by any means if you have the capacity to learn it, and are willing to give it an honest try. Chances are you won't find anybody skilled enough to do the things you want for free.

Previous Readers (Total: 0)