1. Check out the Store if you're looking to Buy HL2RP or other schemas for your server. You can click Buy Schemas on the very top navigation bar to visit the store.
  2. Use the Plugin Center to easily subscribe to and auto-install Clockwork plugins to your server, or submit and share plugins you have developed.
  3. Having trouble setting up or developing with Clockwork? Check out the Wiki or post in the Support Forum for advice from fellow users.
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, you need a Steam account to register and post on these forums. Login with Steam at the top of the forums to get started!
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, do you want to buy HL2RP or another Clockwork schema? Visit the Cloud Sixteen Store to get started!

:// Moved to different site.

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Wiz, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Wiz

Wiz Clockwork Customer Active Member

So I need a map developer just a one time thing hopefully to make me a city 17 map, yes I know about beta 210 but it doesn't resemble the city 17 I know from hl2 so what I want is a city 17 map, fairly large, that resembles as close as possible to the actual city 17.

Build 210 is not as close to city 17 as I wish, i find the nexus too close and missing the overwatch nexus.

- Full Overwatch Nexus
    - Large Citadel
    - Close Resemblance
    - Combine Cameras
    - Hospital
    - CWU Place
    - Willard Industries Place
    - Residential Areas (Duh)
    - Possibly moving trains/razor trains somewhere
    - Train station resembling that of hl2's (not a wall like beta 210)
    - Broadcast screens (preferably ones that are cropped properly, not showing only half of the face)
    - BIG City
    - Not a bunch of useless buildings, I don't mind useless ones for decor but I don't want say an entire street full of buildings just for decor.

You could use hl2 and ep1 to get a full idea of city 17.

And of course, I would be paying, Price will be fully determined one finished and tested but I want to pay no more than £/$200.

There's no specific deadline however whenever it can be done as soon as possible would be great. (No I don't mean tomorrow I understand it will take a couple months if not years.)

Any other features resembling City 17 would be great to add.

Thanks

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  2. Reagent

Reagent The Reagent Menace Active Member

lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Blizzard

Blizzard Community Manager Clockwork Customer

I am intermediate at map making.... but let me ask, how does City 17 B 210 not represent the HL2 city seventeen? It's literally the same exact thing in terms of the plaza, and residential buildings when you visit the first mission in the game.

Also, City 17 Build 210 was the final version of the City 17 map. It would take a shit load of extra brushes to make what you are asking. I suppose it's possible through transforming brushes into props, but then your players would have to download the pack that contains all the props - thus increasing your download time. I would highly recommend basing what you're asking off of the existing City 17, Build 210.

Also a big no no for hiring map developers. You need to know how much you will pay them, and in return they need to know approximately how long it'll take.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Wiz

I have updated it after your explanation, however build 210 does not resemble it as close as I would want. I have change pricing to be fully determined but I would hope for it to cost no more than £/$150, as I said though it's fully negotiable.

Also I'm not too fussed about download times, I can sort that out when it comes to it.

5. Blizzard

Your budget is a bit low, getting there, but low. Normally maps that are completely made from scratch cost from $250-$600, but that depends on the size you want, and the amount of detail you want throughout the map.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. Wiz

Changed it again.

7. Wiz

Changed, Again... Thanks rese

I'm not exactly asking for a complete remake from scratch, all you really need to do is piece together all the c17 maps from hl2, make the buildings enterable and use ep1 as an idea to expand it to a larger extent.

8. Blizzard

I've seen plenty of maps go for around 500 USD. They were roleplaying maps for Star Wars RP, and also Serious RP gamemodes like PERP and such... though that's just me, and I guess it depends on who's making the map.

I also believe @Wiz didn't want an edit of City 17, but instead a completely custom map.

9. Tyrex

Tyrex Active Member

Come on man, I don't even like City 24 that much, but to brush off all of the work that went into it and say it's worth $200 is the silliest thing I've ever heard. You say it's something you'd see in an actual videogame, so do you think video game developers get paid 10 cents an hour or something?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Box Box x 1
  10. kief

kief kind bud Manager

If you think a map for $500 is worth it, you're stupid. It isn't worth the hassle to hash out that much money for someone who'll slave over Hammer for a few weeks. Honestly? $80+. Making maps for GMod isn't an enterprise guys, the game came out big in 2010 with the engine and its dated map editing software being developed in 04-06. You're bloating the prices, but hey, charge what you will. If you're a sucker enough to pay someone half of a thousand dollars for a map for a roleplay gamemode on the internet, feel free.

oh yeah dont take this as me trying to fault anyone for doing it, you earn your money, you spend it however you feel. im not one to dictate whats what, just my 2 cents. as long as ur not borrowing daddies credit card to buy it ur all gucci

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  11. Tyrex

Tyrex Active Member

I'm not saying anyone will pay that, but that doesn't affect how much value it inherently holds. Time is money and I'll be damned if you can find anyone that would put possibly a thousand hours into making a map for $80. Especially if they didn't want to do it in the first place, which would make the money pointless to them anyways.

12. Zig

Zig Legend Clockwork Customer Active Member

Isn't that a bit of a contradiction? It's pretty obvious you're degrading the hard work that goes into making these maps. If you understand the map editor is non-user friendly, you'd understand the sheer amount of hours someone dumps into making a map with Source. Regardless of how you think of these maps holding up in the future, you're still paying for a specialty product which will require days, maybe even months to produce (on a straight schedule). Making roleplay maps is possibly one of the hardest things to do. I'd pay someone five-hundred dollars or more if they were making a professional product that would take months to accomplish, it's the equivalent of contracting someone for work. You wouldn't pay a professional carpenter twenty dollars to re-roof or re-floor your entire house would you? Mappers aren't illegal workers, they work hard on what they do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. vexus

vexus ej rockwell's worst nightmare Clockwork Customer Active Member

god you're a cuck

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Ghost Prodigy

Ghost Prodigy Clockwork Customer

Tbh, City 17 v210 has a bunch of useless/unpolished areas and are just a waste of a bunch of brushes and resources which could be put into something more productive. The next version fixes all that so it's not a problem

Btw to op, post your job on scriptfodder and you'll get a good amount of decent/good mappers depending on your payout

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Reagent

Reagent The Reagent Menace Active Member

honestly the price is the price. you cant just gauge maps based on hours spent or the quality. imo i think all maps are "priceless". they all have some kind of special attribute added in by the map creator, some kind of special design you don't see in other maps. like you cant just say, c24 = 1.2k, c17 = 450, c18 = 55. maps are best made when the creator is motivated, not doing it for money.

@Wiz if you really wanted a map done right. you'd use your own motivation & create it yourself. hammer isn't that hard to learn & you can watch a few videos. while you're doing that you can ask yourself "is a custom map really worth it?", "will my server actually get population? or is this a waste of effort and perhaps i should spend my resources/time on real life"

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. cash wednesday

cash wednesday Owner of UNDERWORLD™ GAMING Clockwork Customer Active Member

city 17 > city 18
    Hahaha. funny joke :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. what he said what if you invest money into a map and you don't even get a playerbase. not all servers get players because of custom maps its also the atmosphere.

18. Wiz

I have tried hammer multiple times but I can’t get it to work no matter how many tutorials I watch. If I didn’t care then why obviously wouldn’t be paying.

19. kief

kief kind bud Manager

@Wiz
    maps are a labor or love, find someone that'll do a decent job and that will not screw you over on the price.
    my advice? know your priorities buddy. i dont wanna sound mean in saying this, but if you're some guy nobody knows and you're trying to come up with a no-name server with a schema and server idea that falls in the mean of all the other hl2rp servers out there and the only thing that you have to show for quality is the fact that you spent big money on a map, you're doing it wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tyrex

Tyrex Active Member

if you want to send me a friend request on steam i'll try to answer any questions you have about hammer, free of charge!

Previous Readers (Total: 0)