1. Check out the Store if you're looking to Buy HL2RP or other schemas for your server. You can click Buy Schemas on the very top navigation bar to visit the store.
  2. Use the Plugin Center to easily subscribe to and auto-install Clockwork plugins to your server, or submit and share plugins you have developed.
  3. Having trouble setting up or developing with Clockwork? Check out the Wiki or post in the Support Forum for advice from fellow users.
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, you need a Steam account to register and post on these forums. Login with Steam at the top of the forums to get started!
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, do you want to buy HL2RP or another Clockwork schema? Visit the Cloud Sixteen Store to get started!

HL2RP Realism vs fun

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by noel, Jun 9, 2017.

1. noel

noel Active Member

I was just thinking about P1 and what made it good and what made it bad, and I've perhaps come to realize that many of HL2RP servers nowadays are actually so focused on being realistic and representing actual city life in HL2RP that they lose their fun value entirely.

Like, when was the last HL2RP you joined that was using /roll and wasn't encouraging one side to consistently dominate Citizens? Or the last time every character was a half biotic psychopathic mutant transgender?

It might just be me but honestly my best memories of HL2RP are on servers with my friends, like the first two renditions of Viridian, where we literally just had the cringiest (partly because we were young) and most ridiculous characters, with over the top fights and drama happening between large rebel groups and the Civipro.

Now it seems like HL2RP is so dead set on being realistic walking around as a regular guy, or a CP with absolutely no identity because of anonymity that it just seems like every server is a direct copy of one another, and there's literally no fun value or attachment to any of your characters or other people's characters because they're all so generic.

It's kind of like playing GTA as a middle aged guy who carries out normal daily tasks at a normal rate and having to painstakingly type to NPCs with small talk the neither of you care about, rather than these really interesting and developed characters who are special snowflakey as fuck and have so much identity behind them. The game would be completely different.

Has anyone else recognized this observation? Anyone agree with it/disagree with it? Why do you think this has happened? Could it be a reason for HL2RP's diminishing popularity?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. dead flag blues

dead flag blues Clockwork Customer Active Member

I believe it's more about finding a balance between the two. It is possible to have a quality-controlled server and still allow player freedom and enjoyment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. noel

noel Active Member

Has anywhere really done that though, even things like LP are in my mind far too restrictive to really enjoy that much

4. dead flag blues

dead flag blues Clockwork Customer Active Member

Balanced gamemodes, particularly in sandbox city RPs, are very difficult to keep going unless you have the resources and staffing to keep it perpetually moving. Perhaps it's just nostalgic value speaking, but I felt the original Burrito Brothers released by @The Doctor M.D. is the closest I've experienced to an open-world city RP which allowed player freedom yet restricted them to a certain set of oppression set by the Combine. You're absolutely right in stating that attempting to keep gameplay as realistic as possible will take away from a player's experience, so it's more about deciding which restrictions in-character need to exist and which could easily be overlooked for logical reasons. Player freedom to roam maps, create businesses, start their own factions, and having the administration focusing priority to the most basic of factions should always take priority as it'll allow players to properly create their own roleplay. Additionally, providing resources via scripts and nonlinear maps can add onto that experience. Just my few ideas to share. /endrant

5. willy pete

willy pete see britannia rule again Active Member

honestly you aren't gonna be able to balance realism and fun in a cityrp setting because cities are always drab as shit and nobody wants to rp living in the middle of that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. TheFancyAlchemist

TheFancyAlchemist ️️️️ Active Member

I get that some people want extreme realism but I think fun is more important in a video game. If it's too realistic to enjoy then who's gonna play it.

7. jojo

jojo mutual Clockwork Customer Active Member

as dead flag said, u gotta find a good balance

i have very fond memories of outlands servers back in 2010-2011 with half-robot rogue cps named "HELIX" living in that big house on rp_coast_09, super fucking unrealistic and wouldnt fly now but god those are the only times i can look back on my rp past and not feel utterly disgusted by how atrocious it all was

too realistic servers are boring as all hell
    too unrealistic servers are cringy and bad

i think another reason for this was the death of lemonpunch which was holding like 30% of the rp community and the lack of quality servers since then

hl2rp has been on a constant decline since 2014 with shitty server after shitty server though
    theres a reason why more weathered rpers dont waste their time anymore

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. willy pete

willy pete see britannia rule again Active Member

see @sparkz knows what the FucK he's doing because he's runnin a resistance-focused server with a dynamic setting that changes based on player choice

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. kief

kief kind bud Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

bro in all seriousness you dont need to plug a dudes server and not contribute to the convo okay

awesome

now for me to shine and get my 'winner' rating x1 :p

i never played precint, and idk however it went, but i can definitely tell you trying to push the notion that having a realistic server would actually detract from any playability. imo, there is a stark line between realism and what can be conveyed in roleplay, there is such thing as this layer of meta which is only progressed through the medium of a keyboard and monitor, so by that logic we all have to understand that what is infront of us is not real and is in fact just a fun way to pass the time.

realism in servers can be really seriously done or whatever, but imo if you make it 'more serious' or 'more realistic', you're really just changing the aspect of gameplay within the server. no whether or not that is fun to the average player is one thing, but i've always been one to say that it can be done if it is done correctly, you know? ive seen it done before on countless servers where i've enjoyed it

then again, dropping some realism for the sake of fun doesn't sound like a pleasant thought to someone like me personally, i dont think anyone should drop terms of realism for the sake of 'fun' as the realism of the roleplay and the experience you have on the server wholly should be what the 'fun' was to begin with because it should of been done to begin with.

just as a side note though, i really don't understand this notion of hl2rp being a dying gamemode or whatever. i explained a year ago that i saw this stuff going in cycles, where popularity kinda kept stagnant but we just had shittier and shittier copiers who weren't pouring as much as they could into a server because they didn't know better. my best memories of hl2rp before the magic was gone was on a lowly 50 pop server that got sat on by lemonpunch, and it basically ran on the dumbest premise of lore ever.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Good Coder Good Coder x 1
  10. Generisk Løytnant

Generisk Løytnant You're not getting any younger, so figure it out! Staff Member Moderator

my general rule is this:

as long as the concept is totally within reason and doesn't conflict with anything, it's fine
    my definition of, "within reason" extends to:

if a person can manage to do 'x' thing in 'y' setting without much issue, and it doesn't conflict with anything, it's fine

this is not to say that ic actions do not have risks/consequences, but i'm pretty sure you all know what i mean.

e: nothing IC should have to be managed through OOC means outside of like, keeping rosters and shit to keep track of things and make sure they don't flop.

i still hate how rp injuries are done though; i've never seen anyone get it right outside of like militaryrp's in which (once you die ooc you take a wound) and it's written out in event form, like

/event mr. man gets shot in leg
    ok, that leaves enough breathing room to let the player decide where, and what happens internally
    which is cool, but i've never seen it in otherwise 'typical' roleplay settings

tl;dr: you can have realism at the max and still have fun, y'just have to know what you're doing

11. Tyrex

Tyrex Active Member

While this is true, I think a serious problem is the complete polar opposite, in that people are trying TOO hard and making things way over-complicated and that sets it up for failure IMO. HL2RP used to be simple as far as I remember, people weren't so anal about everything. People try to start these advanced servers just so they can stick out from others which is understandable, but it doesn't work in the end. I think a simpler server that can adapt to the playerbase's desires would work better.

12. Generisk Løytnant

Generisk Løytnant You're not getting any younger, so figure it out! Staff Member Moderator

yeah but the problem with people making 'vanilla' hl2rp is the whole,

"what separates you from other communities?" -nothing, just vanilla/relatively simple.

so, in that regard, simple is looked upon as "inseparable from the rest."

13. Tyrex

Tyrex Active Member

:/

14. Generisk Løytnant

@Tyrex

i was referring to you
    but i can almost guarantee that if someone tried to advertise 'vanilla hl2rp' they'd get, "what separates you from others," even with what you've posted in mind. it's happened quite a few times before.

e: to clarify; 'advanced servers,' as you put it, suffer from doing too much and usually flop, granted
    but vanilla servers are sometimes accused of being 'like the rest' even without the 'advanced' aspects

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tyrex

Tyrex Active Member

Sorry but I don't think you understand what I meant. I said advanced servers usually flop, but I understand why people do them, because if they didn't they'd be accused of being like the rest just like you said.

16. Generisk Løytnant

oh. i'm an idiot; yeah, no misread
    forget what i said
    whoops

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. cold

cold here we go yo, so what's the scenario Active Member

this is why sd was so great

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Aflac

Aflac Big Guy Active Member

A lot of times I feel like you guys in these threads fail to consider that perhaps you've just outgrown HL2RP. Maybe your best memories are behind you because of nostalgia, and because the game was more fun when you were younger.
    Sort of agreeing with OP, the fact is with RP games like GMod or WoW is that everyone wants their character to be a snowflake and everyone else to not be. You can either accept it as it is or be the tryhard "aggressively non-snowflake" guy that nobody wants to roleplay with.
    Try other roleplay games. Go play D&D with your RL friends. Go join a military reenactors guild or some shit.

• Agree Agree x 1