1. Check out the Store if you're looking to Buy HL2RP or other schemas for your server. You can click Buy Schemas on the very top navigation bar to visit the store.
  2. Use the Plugin Center to easily subscribe to and auto-install Clockwork plugins to your server, or submit and share plugins you have developed.
  3. Having trouble setting up or developing with Clockwork? Check out the Wiki or post in the Support Forum for advice from fellow users.
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, you need a Steam account to register and post on these forums. Login with Steam at the top of the forums to get started!
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, do you want to buy HL2RP or another Clockwork schema? Visit the Cloud Sixteen Store to get started!

rp_city6 (EXTREME WIP)

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Tyrex, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Tyrex

Tyrex Active Member

Set in Kabul, Afghanistan, started a few days ago.

I would love any and all criticism and additions. I'm thinking about moving the spawn somewhere else and having the mosque be in the middle of the map. I have a large market area planned near the mosque which will be for rations and I'll also include a slums area with worn down buildings, etc. I'm going for a very rugged and practical look for everything.

Progress:
    • Skybox complete
    • Nexus done outside of detailing and final fixes.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Lev

Lev certified honorable guy Crusader

Sorta reminds me of that old map, rp_cscdesert. Looks good so far, keep up the good work.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Could use some more subtle environment lighting, and some more complex geometry.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Tyrex

Tyrex Active Member

Thank you both, I was trying to think about how to spice up the houses because they do just look like blocks, but I'm not really sure how I'd do that. This is the picture I used for reference :[​IMG]

5. Zig

Zig Guest

Couple things, and I know this is WIP so let me know if you already have these things in mind
    1. Don't use ladders in houses, also use props for ladders instead of brushes (They look better.)
    2. Abstract geometry. Make things pop more, the map looks GoldSrc era, you can do this by rounding things out and adding more edges and things that stickout of the walls. Same with decals, prop placement, and more.
    3. Overuse of brushes for props. Like I said before try to get used to working with props for certain details like windows and such. It'll help you in the long run to make things not only look a lot better but less squary. Other than that, it's not a horrible start but prepare for a very long development and very long sequence of struggle, frustration, and anger when making roleplay maps.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Tyrex

Tyrex Active Member

Thank you very much for the advice, I will change the ladders to stairs and I'm going to use the ARMA 2 houses for reference as suggested by a friend. [​IMG]

7. Tyrex

Tyrex Active Member

Update:
    • Added UCH, still have to detail it and optimize
    • Fixed up main Nexus doors
    • Added and basically finished market area and ration dispenser wall
    • Added some roads

8. Looks a lot better. Could ease up on the fog, and maybe also play with displacements a little, y'know?

9. Songbird

Songbird ❤️ Staff Member Moderator Veteran Active Member

You can try and inspire from rp_city8_district9 for the desolated desert environment. The map is extremely beautiful and it contains similar type of buildings and style you are trying to create.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Tyrex

Tyrex Active Member

Thank you very much for the advice, I'll be sure to check it out.

11. Zig

Zig Guest

You're starting to get there, I'd make that market your main plaza, because basically afaik markets are the center of the city, and center of trade. I'd surround buildings and houses all around it because anywhere there is money there is population growth (usually unless it's cheap housing.)

12. corrin

corrin hot boat sex Active Member

did you copy and paste the large gate brushes from city 18?

13. Tyrex

Tyrex Active Member

Yes, sir. I'll likely modify them later, they're just a placeholder for now.

14. corrin

corrin hot boat sex Active Member

Alright, that's cool. Try going with something that's more fitting in your environment. Sort of like a hybridization of both Islamic architecture and Combine architecture.

Also try looking at real-life references of Kabul.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. cool environment my dude! :))

very refreshing atmosphere from the regular eastern european settings

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Tyrex

Tyrex Active Member

Made a lot of progress so far, still need to decorate the Nexus along with expanding that 'underground tunnel' area. Also need to add soundscapes around. I also threw HDR on, please tell me what you guys think.

17. redcatjack

redcatjack Moderator and Map Developer Staff Member Moderator Clockwork Customer

Looking really good so far, But the fog is WAY to bright now

18. It would be cool to have the Mosque be the Nexus or something. Like the majority of it having the original Afghan architecture but the rest having Combine metal/doors etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Tyrex

Tyrex Active Member

I'll mess around with the fog as see what I can do, thank you!
    The mosque is the Nexus, check out the first video for the tour, I still have to decorate it a lot more, though.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. Tyrex

Tyrex Active Member

Map is complete and uploaded on the Steam Workshop! Thank you all for the feedback and I will continue to work on this map in the future so please leave any additions you would like to see. I know the map is on the small side, so expanding the citizen areas is definitely on the list. I hope you all enjoy!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=770136218

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1

Previous Readers (Total: 0)