1. Check out the Store if you're looking to Buy HL2RP or other schemas for your server. You can click Buy Schemas on the very top navigation bar to visit the store.
  2. Use the Plugin Center to easily subscribe to and auto-install Clockwork plugins to your server, or submit and share plugins you have developed.
  3. Having trouble setting up or developing with Clockwork? Check out the Wiki or post in the Support Forum for advice from fellow users.
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, you need a Steam account to register and post on these forums. Login with Steam at the top of the forums to get started!
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, do you want to buy HL2RP or another Clockwork schema? Visit the Cloud Sixteen Store to get started!

Should MPF be nice to citizens?

Discussion in 'Casual Discussion' started by Frost, Jul 12, 2017.

Should MPF be nice to citizens?

1. Yeah.

2. No.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't know. I've seen Metro-Police be a little too friendly to citizens. Do you think the MPF should be nice to the citizens? I don't think they should.
  2. willy pete

willy pete i'm going to cut off your face and wear it Active Member

3. Oliver

Oliver Well shit Clockwork Customer Active Member

In my servers I always try for the MPF to be as hardassed as possible. But it's rank contingent with us, so an RCT can be seen friendly. DvL though? That's grounds for immediate amputation.
    • Good Coder Good Coder x 1
  4. willy pete

willy pete i'm going to cut off your face and wear it Active Member

kill em all, soldier.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Roth

Roth C16's furfag mascot (better than Cinder) Active Member

pfft, no

friendly mpf just sounds like some shit version of fictional hugboxing to me
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Generisk Løytnant

Generisk Løytnant Moderator Staff Member Moderator

it really depends -- when somebody enlists / applies for a position in civil protection, many things could happen, but i'll name the two extremes:

person is a sadist
    person is still a regular civilian, but is just seeking benefits to make the most of what they've got

realistically, you'd probably have a lot of the latter, and initially, they probably will be "nice" and hesitant to dish out beatings or harsh punishments unless it seems 'fitting' to the crime or charge. i'm sure they still have a moral compass, and some sort of will. as it turns out, in a civilized society, not everyone is out to kill or beat the shit out of the next guy. i personally don't see the problem with lower ranks being or acting 'less experienced,' but more as what it should be. it can be overdone, but promotions (from my experience) are handed out relatively quickly within a small group of people, and if they haven't been given time to develop, then it's likely that you'll see a merciful 03 - 01. the problem lies with the guy promoting the person.

promotions should only be dealt by merit, not by time
  7. Humblebumbled

Humblebumbled Active Member

MPF rp itself can be so deep, as most people start out in a white-grey situation, only to turn darker as they work through the Civil protection ranks. But a lot of the time, they shift into a situation of either becoming too nice or too heartless due to decisions by the administration or playerbase, or just a lack of depth in the CP themselves.

What I'd like to see myself is a CP roster that has varieties of members, such as a corrupt officer, who deals punishment by the say of the highest payer, or a sympathizer, who lets small actions slide and lets people off the hook at times, maybe a handful of officers that are just trying to get by each day, or even a sadist who finds pleasure in his beatings.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Generisk Løytnant

Generisk Løytnant Moderator Staff Member Moderator

people don't give cp roleplay enough credit, i think
    all they see are numbers and obligations
  9. On an old server I used to play on, some i1 was handing out extra rations to every citizen. I guess Mr.CmD didn't like that, because apparently the i1's patrol partner told the CmD what was going on lmao.
  10. MPF should not ever be nice to citizen, have you even played half life 2?
    Rogue ones, maybe, yes.
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Personally, I think people run the risk of going to two different extremes. Complete hardass, boring HL2 cops or stoner bro cops. Both aren't the greatest. There's a healthy balance somewhere in the middle that I've seen servers do, sometimes, and it works well.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. I don't think you read what I said completely.

I'm asking for opinions, not for your snarky reply.

Anyways, I'm talking about on an average basis. Sure, I've seen some RCTs be nice, but units that are ranked above i4 holding doors open and saying, "<:: Have a good day sir!::>" is uh, a little off, in my opinion. In fact, I've seen at least one server that actually *enforces* MPF being nice to the citizens, which, in the end, a couple minges used that to their advantage.
  13. NFPD

NFPD Plums! Active Member

I'd say it depends on how loyal they are to the Universal Union
  14. Personally, I think it's fine for units to be nice to citizens within reason. Newer units to the force I would expect to be quite hesitant to beat the dog shit out of a fellow human for running. In regards to the snarky ass in the comments saying, "Have you even played HL2?" In the game the units were always pieces of shit, but personally I find using the game as an example like a strawman. The depth the game goes into is - NPC with a mask that identifies them as the enemy team - fight.

Serious half-life 2 roleplay is different from a black and white shoot'em up in regards to the units individually. If someone wants to roleplay a unit that's just a sadist, wants to shoot everyone in the face, that's their choice. Though the main issue with basically expecting or enforcing such an attitude on every unit eventually boils down to this issue as also stated above me: Every unit is an unapproachable jackass that is by the book for everything. Any ability to passive rp with them as a normal citizen which makes up a majority of the userbase, usually, is gone. I get that units aren't intended to be approachable, but realistically, not everyone would be an asshole because they don a uniform. It's fine to allow them to be human as they start out and learn what it means to be part of the MPF, and they have to eventually go to that crossroad of: "Can I live with acting like this?" and all that.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mannulus

Mannulus I hate everyone equally. Clockwork Customer Active Member

I always go with a multi-dimensional CP roster with my community. If you make it where CP's can't be interacted with besides the occasional attack, mugging, beating, etc. then all you did was simply cut a chunk of your playerbase in two. You might have say, 20 people on but if like 6 of those are CP's, that is 6 people who can only roleplay with each other and not roleplay with the rest of the population on a deeper level.

I understand the idea that CP's are non-stop brutal in HL2 but I have to agree with The Joker. Black and white CP's is not only unrealistic but ruins a chance of quality roleplay for the community and character development as they progress through the Civil Protection. We have to understand that HL2 is merely a schematic that can be added onto. Ranks, divisions, personalities, etc. can be filled in by every community and it might actually work.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Ralph

Ralph black Active Member

since hl2rp wants to go and FUCK everything up. every ground unit gets the same directive keep socio stability etc. den they have the regulations for punishments which must be followed no stupid retard shit. they must re educate people for audio violations etc. personality wise they also have a code of conduct which scales with the rank. 05 i5s or whatever the starting enlisted rank is(since hl2rp wants to FUCK it upp!!!!!) will start out with basic knowledge but might not be as harsh with beatings trying to stick with regulation and that goes on up until hc which can be an entirely different story depending on the server.
  17. cold

cold ej rockwell's worst nightmare Clockwork Customer Active Member

wtf did u just say
  18. Ralph

Ralph black Active Member

the truth nigga.
  19. Aflac

Aflac Big Guy Honorable

This is a half baked thought, but I honestly would love to do a different take on HL2RP (although honestly I'd just use HL2 assets, it wouldn't be HL2 lore anymore) where the Combine generally isn't trying to rape earth and erase humanity but is actually trying to "uplift" humanity.

Naturally, humans are rebels and don't like being lorded over. There'd be a more interesting moral dilemma involved on both sides of the baton.

CPs are pressed with "how far will I go to help 'progress'/help people who don't want to he helped". Narratively, this could draw on the experiences of real life cops and US military "nation building", where the seemingly good guys are rejected by the populace because they represent authority (and there's legitimate issues too, both irl and in this idea. So like CPs might be overly harsh sometimes which earns them a bad rep and makes for more violent encounters, ad naus)

Rebels are fighting for "freedom" from a strong central (and foreign) government, but ultimately that government is benefitting the common man more than the rebels or the governments of old.

Anyone else think this is a neat idea or am I just high as fuck
    • Like Like x 2
  20. RJ

RJ no pay Honorable Clockwork Customer

I'd let it be up to the individual MPF character, while still having brutality being encouraged by those in the higher ranks. I'd also try to make kindness generally frowned upon among everyone in the MPF.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1

Previous Readers (Total: 0)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.