1. Check out the Store if you're looking to Buy HL2RP or other schemas for your server. You can click Buy Schemas on the very top navigation bar to visit the store.
  2. Use the Plugin Center to easily subscribe to and auto-install Clockwork plugins to your server, or submit and share plugins you have developed.
  3. Having trouble setting up or developing with Clockwork? Check out the Wiki or post in the Support Forum for advice from fellow users.
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, you need a Steam account to register and post on these forums. Login with Steam at the top of the forums to get started!
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, do you want to buy HL2RP or another Clockwork schema? Visit the Cloud Sixteen Store to get started!

Volur -- Making a Forum with Laravel

Discussion in 'Programming' started by kurozael, Dec 20, 2016.

1. kurozael

kurozael Cloud Sixteen Director Staff Member Administrator Investor

This isn't necessarily for the new Cloud Sixteen Community forums (it's probably best to choose something that already exists and is maintained by a large group of people), but it's a good experience and opportunity to learn how the cool kids are making web applications these days. Back in my day it was easy but now you've got all these trendy frameworks and terminologies that seem as though web developers said, "hey, there's too many web developers and now our jobs are at risk, I know, we'll deliberately make everything more complicated than it needs to be so newcomers can't keep up!"

Well fuck that. I spent about 8 hours last night until 6am this morning starting my quest to learn Laravel (a popular PHP framework). In doing so I aim to create a simple, modern forum application, Volur (working title.)

All I've managed to achieve so far is the ability to install the application, and then register or login to the forum. My next goal will be a basic administrative dashboard for the creation of categories, and then allow registered users to post threads or comment replies.

You can find the GitHub page over at http://kurozael.github.io/volur, although the repository is currently private while it's in its baby stages.
    • Good Coder Good Coder x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. kurozael

kurozael Cloud Sixteen Director Staff Member Administrator Investor

Decided to implement a module system for extensions/plugins, it's all working pretty well actually (from an architectural point of view, there's no frontend to manage them yet) and using a similar system I plan to add basic theme support tomorrow. I figure once I've got those out the way I can just have everything be an extension for full customization.
    • Good Coder Good Coder x 2
  3. duck

duck Phant0m Honorable

It's been a pleasure for me to work with laravel. A while ago, before I was seriously into web applications, @alexanderk helped me out with it. I found it so confusing at first, and I still find some parts of it confusing (where my experience is to blame), but I'm working on something similar to WHMCS right now for my first big project.

Good luck with the forum.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. alexanderk

alexanderk a Honorable

• Good Coder Good Coder x 1
  5. SmallS

SmallS Clockwork Customer Active Member

• Good Coder Good Coder x 1
  6. Blizzard

Blizzard Cold Hearted Staff Member Manager Clockwork Customer

If you're looking for a simplistic forum framework, try Kunena Forum a plugin for Joomla. It's pretty neat.
  7. Glunar

Glunar Clockwork Customer

My suggestion for you is to use MyBB and modify it. There's bunch of websites whom using heavily modified MyBB for their community. It's pretty easy to make a simple one but hard to make a detailed version.

Previous Readers (Total: 0)