1. Check out the Store if you're looking to Buy HL2RP or other schemas for your server. You can click Buy Schemas on the very top navigation bar to visit the store.
  2. Use the Plugin Center to easily subscribe to and auto-install Clockwork plugins to your server, or submit and share plugins you have developed.
  3. Having trouble setting up or developing with Clockwork? Check out the Wiki or post in the Support Forum for advice from fellow users.
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, you need a Steam account to register and post on these forums. Login with Steam at the top of the forums to get started!
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, do you want to buy HL2RP or another Clockwork schema? Visit the Cloud Sixteen Store to get started!

zig's mapping

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Zig, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Sly

Sly Life is wasted on the living. Clockwork Customer Active Member

I agree. There are many spots in i17 that I didn't enjoy because they felt over-saturated in yellowed lighting. Personally I like the darker colors, keeps more true to the original HL2 Beta and early Final HL2. Nice progress Zig!

2. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=360084734

This was a map I helped make the lighting on. The urban areas utilize a red/yellow/blue tertiary color palette, very simple, with contrast preserved (evident in the darker alleys and unlit streets). Might be something helpful to check out if you're wondering how to implement a broader range of light sources, we certainly went for the realistic Los Angeles streets and industrial offices for this one.

3. Zig

Zig Clockwork Customer Active Member

I know how to implement a broader range of light sources, I haven't given all areas lights because the map is a work in progress.

4. Zig

http://hintskip.win/ has been updated with a new set of garbage. dl links for bsps will eventually be released. might also post experimental/scrapped maps in case anyone wants to take a peek at how something was done etc. been working on a map recently for ap and just general mapping fun w/ @jiggle

• Like Like x 1
  5. king of cats

6. Zig

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zig

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Herosloth

Herosloth Runs a shitty Hl2rp community Clockwork Customer Active Member

So these maps are still unfinished? From your portfolio?

9. Zig

Yes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. BurningMadness

BurningMadness Clockwork Customer Active Member

Still whaiting for progress, your map look amazing, we need to know more !

11. Zig

Which one?

12. redcatjack

redcatjack Moderator and Map Developer Staff Member Moderator Clockwork Customer

Thread pruned. Take your drama elsewhere.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Zig

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sat around for an hour today and made sure that i wasnt getting rusty at architectural work
    practice makes perfect

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Zig

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    fixed a few buildings + color correction

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. BurningMadness

BurningMadness Clockwork Customer Active Member

This is just so FUCKING beautiful, please bless us with this map !

16. Zig

someday i guess

17. Schulze35

Schulze35 Clockwork Customer Active Member

Hella Lit Zig. Keep it up.

18. Viz

Viz Legend Clockwork Customer Active Member

Looking real nice.

19. sloth_

sloth_ i swear im not slow

How do you manage to make it look this slick dude, I've been making a map and using developer textures to outline it all but I noticed that with the default HL2 and CSS textures I can't seem to find a good look. Do you use the default ones or you have some of your own? Also nice work on the map for Phase Four too, looks really fucking good

20. Zig

Four years of experience and practice. Using developer textures to outline it all is fine, I'm usually not as intricate with dev-texturing stuff as other mappers, some will build excessive amounts of their maps with the developer textures, but I find that to be a waste of time. I usually just put big boxes in blank spaces where I know I'll put buildings.

It's kind of all about general knowledge of aesthetics, complimenting color palettes, and different environmental blending. You kind of need to have a good understanding of how color compliments and contrast work to make good environment pieces. Usually some people would consider all of this information excess, as a lot of mappers simply work off of architecture examples/pictures, but the people who built and decorated those buildings did the same things.

Regardless, the majority of my maps use 99% HL2-EP1-EP2 and recently CSS. Before I was only uses episodic textures on top of HL2, but there were a few extra CSS ones along with some props that I found useful. In these specific screenshots, I've allocated a couple 2002-2003 HL2 Beta textures and used them to further orchestrate the textures in the map.

What I think a lot of mappers on here, and in general miss, is that one of the biggest helpers in making your levels pop and feel more alive is to make the least amount of flat surfaces as possible. With the Source engine running its' best on hallways and general linear areas, you kind of have to avoid the temptation and really make sure all of your surfaces pop in a certain way. I never try to leave one particular largish stretch of geometry without some kind of twist/pop with the exception of interiors because most of them are designed to be rather flat and space-saving, with the exception for windows and things. Overall, it just takes practice. I practiced a lot before I started actually helping with working on a map. I started with interior work and now I do exteriors more.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2